Practical Info 2017
All presenters and attendees must register for the conference. On-site registration is available at the information desk between the hours of 8:30 AM–5:30 PM on Friday, 9:00 AM–6:00 PM on Saturday, and 9:00 AM–12:00 PM on Sunday. The registration fee of $270 ($135 for students) is payable by credit card. To register online, please visit our Eventbrite page at gurt2017.eventbrite.com, and select ‘Register’.
Daylight Saving Time
Please note: Daylight Saving Time begins on Sunday, March 12 at 2:00 AM, so remember to advance your clocks one hour before the Sunday morning session.
Wi-Fi and Internet Access
There are several ways to connect to the internet while at GURT:
GuestNetprovides free, unencrypted Internet access for users without Georgetown credentials.
Visitors to Georgetown can also connect to
eduroamusing their home institution’s credentials. The
eduroamnetwork is encrypted and secured using 802.1x authentication.
- Computer kiosks are located in the first and second floors of the Intercultural Center (ICC) and in Sellinger Lounge in the Leavey Center (see campus map).
- Lauinger Library has Internet facilities on the first floor (in the Gelardin New Media Center) and the third floor (lobby). You must present an ID (such as a driver’s license or passport) to enter the library.
Coffee, tea, fresh fruit, and bagels will be served in the ICC Galleria each morning for 30 minutes prior to the start of the first plenary. Coffee, tea, and snacks will also be available during the morning break and from 3:00–4:30 during the afternoon session. Please note that food and drink may not be taken into the auditorium.
A reception will be held Friday evening in the ICC Galleria from 5:30–7:00 PM. Complimentary hors d’oeuvres, wine, beer, and soft drinks will be served. A Champagne Reception will be held Saturday from 6:00 PM–7:00 PM in the ICC Galleria.
Graduate Student & Invited Speakers Lunch
An invited luncheon for student and postdoc presenters and plenary speakers will take place on Friday, March 10 from 12:30–2:00 PM.
One of DC’s top-rated food trucks, Arepa Zone, will be serving Venezuelan food in front of the ICC on Saturday, March 11 from 11:30 AM–2:00 PM. Visit their website at arepazone.com, or follow them on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @ArepaZone.
- On campus: Epicurean and Company offers a variety of sit-down dining choices, including pizza, sushi, salads, a buffet, and a full bar. Hoya Court in the Leavey Center contains a Cosi, Starbucks, Subway, Elevation Burger and Salad Creations. Bulldog Tavern is a full-service restaurant and bar located in the Healey Family Student Center. See studentliving.georgetown.edu/dining for more information.
- Close to campus: Wisemiller’s (1236 36th St. NW) offers bagels, hot and cold sandwiches, coffee, snacks, and small groceries. Saxby’s (3500 O St. NW) has cold sandwiches and salads as well as pastries and excellent coffee. Booeymonger (3265 Prospect St. NW) sells sandwiches, salads, and coffee. The Tombs (1226 36th St. NW) is a classic meeting spot for Georgetown University students and faculty for casual dining.
- Off campus: Georgetown is one of DC’s most popular neighborhoods for dining. A short walk down M Street, Prospect Street, or Wisconsin Avenue will take you to many restaurants serving a wide range of cuisines. Visit georgetowndc.com for more information.
Oral Presentation Instructions
The time slot for paper presentations is 30 minutes, consisting of a 20 minute talk and a 10 minute question period. 5 minutes are allotted between talks to allow the next presenter to prepare their presentation and for audience members to move between rooms.
Each room in the ICC is equipped with a computer, projector, and speakers. You may choose to project your presentation using the computer provided, or connect your personal computer via VGA or HDMI.
The poster session will take place in the ICC Galleria on Saturday between 11:30 AM and 1:00 PM. Presenters should remain at their poster for the duration of the poster session to answer questions and discuss their poster with conference attendees.
Posters should be no larger than 48×36 inches, preferably in landscape orientation. Thumbtacks for mounting your poster will be provided. Please arrive 10 minutes before the poster session begins to set up your poster.
- On campus: Lauinger Library has self-service copiers and printers. (These require you to purchase a copy card.) There is also a color copier on the first floor, in the Gelardin New Media Center. For more information, please visit library.georgetown.edu/photocopy-and-print.
- Off campus: The nearest FedEx Office is located at 3329 M Street NW (six blocks southeast of campus).
Transportation and Road Closures
- GUTS: The Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle (GUTS) is a free shuttle connecting the Georgetown campus with the Dupont Circle and Rosslyn Metro stations, as well as the Georgetown University Law Center (close to Union Station). On weekdays, the GUTS bus runs every 10-20 minutes between 6 AM and midnight. On Saturday, the bus will depart Rosslyn at 11:45 AM, 1:05 PM, 2:25 PM, 4:15 PM, and 5:35 PM, and will depart Dupont Circle at 12:25 PM, 1:45 PM, 3:05 PM, 4:55 PM, and 6:15 PM. The GUTS bus does not run on Sundays. The Rosslyn stop is located at 19th & Moore Streets. The Dupont Circle stop is located at 20th St. & Massachusetts Ave. NW. For more details, visit http://transportation.georgetown.edu/guts.
- MetroBus: Georgetown University is served directly by the G2 and D6 MetroBus lines. On the G2, Georgetown University is the final westbound stop. On the D6, get off at the stop for Georgetown University Hospital. Other nearby buses include the 38B and the DC Circulator (which stop at 34th & M Streets NW) and the D2 (which stops at 35th & Q Streets NW).
- Metro: The nearest Metro (subway) stations are Dupont Circle (Red line) and Rosslyn (Blue, Orange, and Silver lines). From Dupont Circle, take GUTS or MetroBus G2 (toward Georgetown University). From Rosslyn, take GUTS, MetroBus 38B (toward Farragut Square), or the DC Circulator (toward Dupont Circle).
- The Rock’n’Roll Washington DC Marathon is scheduled for March 11, 2017. As a result, some roads east of Rock Creek Park will be closed from 7:00 AM–2:00 PM. Visit http://www.runrocknroll.com/dc/the-races/road-closures/ for more details.
- On campus: Visitor parking spaces are available in the Georgetown Southwest Garage (3611 Canal Road NW) for a flat rate of $20 per day. The garage is free on Saturday and Sunday. Details available at transportation.georgetown.edu/Driving-and-Parking.
- Off campus: Street parking near the Georgetown campus is limited and strictly enforced. Most streets require a residential permit for parking longer than two hours. A limited number of metered spaces are available on Reservoir Road, 37th Street, and Prospect Street. Parking in these areas costs $2.30 per hour, for a maximum of 3 hours.
NSF Information Table
Representatives from the National Science Foundation will be available on Saturday, March 11 from 11:30 AM to 2:00 PM in the ICC Galleria. They will be happy to discuss funding opportunities for graduate fellowships, research proposals, dissertation improvement grants, conferences, etc.
Certificate of Attendance
Conference attendees may request a certificate of attendance by contacting the organizers via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.